Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Question for HC fans~~~~Especially Carl

  1. #11
    Inactive Member deviantdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2004
    Posts
    1,966
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Carl I.:
    I love Charged GBH. In fact, three of their albums are damn near masterpieces, IMO. "City Baby Attacked By Rats", "Midnight Madness" and "No Need To Panic" are amazing.

    I like Discharge.
    <font size="4" face="Arial">A funny thing...En route to the uni library this
    morning, I cycled past a 'Discharge Live at...'
    poster, about 1 minute's walk from my house.
    I've just checked their dotcom: the bastards played
    there about 3 weeks ago. So then I got in the
    mood to download some Discharge mp3s, but couldn't
    find any, not any that worked anyway - although,
    their dotcom - http://www.discharge.co.uk/sounds.html -
    promises to be releasing loads of gratis mp3s soon.
    Well, it is punk, innit.

    Do you have any mp3s, Carl?

    D.

    <font color="#FF0099" size="1">[ March 26, 2006 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Deviant D ]</font>

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Carl I.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2003
    Posts
    4,786
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I could do some ripping if you would like. They had an album about 3 years ago that was a shocker as to how much like the early stuff it was like.

    Give me a few, I'll find my stuff and send you a link.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Carl I.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2003
    Posts
    4,786
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Heh, I'm actually kind of enjoying this Youth Brigade. They have some pretty damn solid material. Shame I never got into them back in the day.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member LeeRatbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 2003
    Posts
    502
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by JayForSure:
    No ANL.

    As for Beki, did you ever hear any of her music with The Bombshells? That was her and several of that group of female musicians that made up those all female bands in the late 1970s/early 1980s, most notably Kim McAuliffe of Girlschool.
    <font size="4" face="Arial">I saw the Bombshells quite a few times, and apart from Beki they were all guys. Two of them, I seem to recall, were from my town. I don't recall Kim being involved in the Bombshells at all, it was just Beki's attempt to jump on the glam-metal bandwagon. They were OK, but nowt special.
    I'm told the current lineup of Vice Squad is actually the last incarnation of the Bombshells under a different name.

    Oh, and the Anti-Nowhere League are one of the greatest rock bands ever to stalk the Earth. Great blokes too.

    <font color="#FF0099" size="1">[ March 26, 2006 06:07 PM: Message edited by: LeeRatbag ]</font>

  5. #15
    Inactive Member LeeRatbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 2003
    Posts
    502
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by JayForSure:


    BTW...I take it you didn't like "bike-core." For those who don't know, that was the UK's HC section that was like ChargeGBH, Discharge, ANL, and Vice Squad.
    <font size="4" face="Arial">"Bike-core"? Never heard it called that before.
    Over here it was just called "UK82" or "third-wave" punk.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member JayStarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,474
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Interestingly enough, I've done a search that says I'm both right and wrong.

    It says that Kim McAuliffe worked with both Toyah Willcox and Beki Bondage in various projects.

    I'll just have to keep searching.

    Aws for the "tag," I've heard it called several different names. I'd say the best description would be "melodic HC with crossover elements."

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Laur's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2003
    Posts
    115
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just have a few Youth Brigade songs on tape. they were ok to me.
    About the straight-edge thing, I don't think that it was a joke for all bands but the problem is that usually only one person (like Ian McKaye) or two in those bands were writting lyrics about it while some other band members were drinking or smoking.
    Only later HC bands like Earth Crisis had 100% straight edge members but turned it into a more radical intolerant thing.
    Ian McKaye is still serious about it nowadays even though he refuses to call himself straight edge anymore when he sees what the movement has turned into (fashion or violent gangs.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •